Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Grammar rules and calendars

We are experiencing technical difficulties. And by "we," I mean "I." So, essentially, I are expecting technical difficulties...

But I'm not experiencing them here! See, one of the sites for which I write is apparently having some issues, and this means that you, the loyal Ducks readers, benefit!!

I've been on a blogging roll this week. This marks my fifth straight day of posting and I have been bringing my "A" game the past couple of days. Sorry, folks, it doesn't get much better than that... or does it? I don't know. You don't know. We are all in the same boat and will just have to keep writing and reading (respectively) and see how gooder it can get!

I know that my readers are a very intelligent bunch and maybe one of you will know this... Why do we use "better" and "best" instead of "gooder" and "goodest?" I'm sure there is some sort of "roots of the English language" answer, but the goodest, I mean "best," I can come up with is that "gooder" sounds too much like "Gouda" and that would be rather confusing for cheese enthusiasts...

Eh, maybe I'll google it later. (Wait, let me rewrite that sentence.)

Eh, I'm going to think about googling it now, but will have forgotten about it within five minutes. It will never come back up and life will go and I'll be none the wiser. (Ah, much better!)

Anyhow, this week has been going pretty well from a "blogging productivity" standpoint and now it is time for a confession... I invented the Internet. Hmmm, that's not right. I mean, "I was going to slack today and work on other stuff of the 'for pay' variety." But, as mentioned somewhere up there, I'm having technical issues. So instead, you get an official, honest-to-goodness Ducks Out Of A Row post.

What you don't get is a calendar.

Note: Before you get to the next section, let the previous sentence soak in and marinate a bit. Later, when you tell all your friends, family, strangers and enemies about the very awesome/amazing/peculiar blog you are now addicted to, you can be sure to mention "... and the way he segues from one topic to the next is simply breath-taking."

I think that having children draw up pictures of safety issues to put on a corporate calendar can be a little morbid. Hypothetically speaking, the corporate calendar at my day job might be the inspiration for this opinion. Safety is important, no doubt, but the gruesome picture of a guy who has been decapitated because he didn't tie his steel-toed safety shoes tightly enough, while the plant explodes and people are yelling things like "Noooooo!" and "My eyes are on fire and it hurts so bad!!" simply gives me nightmares.

Just kidding. There isn't any picture like that.

But, if memory serves me right, we do have: a woman dying because she took someone else's medicine, a child predator trying to get information in a chat room (only the computer screen is shown) and an unattended child drowning in a pool.

Now, I'm not criticizing the pictures themselves, or even the way the children approached the topic. Rather, I just think the topic was rather dark for a calendar drawn by kids. Here at Ducks Out Of A Row, we promote safety. What we don't promote are disturbing calendars, even if they are intended to raise safety awareness.


I suppose I have more thoughts on the issue, but I'll revisit them later on...

5 comments:

  1. Eh, I'm not sure how happy I am with this particular post... I'll have to make the next one 2x as good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Why do we use "better" and "best" instead of "gooder" and "goodest?"

    On that note, I'd like to know why "funner" doesn't get to be a word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to popular demand, "funner" is officially a word here at Ducks Out Of A Row!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that sounds like an interesting calendar. We want PICTURES! Come on...you can sneak your phone in and take pics of that calendar without them seeing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Due to even more popular demand, I will try to get pictures!

    I am, if nothing else, a man of the people.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment. (All the cool kids are doing it.)